Department of Public Safety Legal Representation
To provide cost effective, readily available, quality representation to eligible defendants or other litigants in cases where the Public Defender has a conflict of interest.
- Providing the Judicial System with a pool of competent private attorneys willing to accept conflict assignments.
- Insuring the private bar an equitable distribution of conflict assignments.
- Providing the private bar with substantive and procedural assistance in handling conflict assignments.
- Providing the private bar with the opportunity for continuing legal education to insure continued high quality.
- Serving the people of Monroe County by monitoring the payments for conflict assignments and by designing procedures and policies that maximize the quality of representation while remaining cost effective.