Small Business Waste Options
Recycling and Chemical Waste Handling for Small Business, Not-For-Profits and
Paper and Other Recycling
Small businesses, churches, not-for-profits, home offices, etc., are required--by law--to contract with a waste collector to provide recycling services (cardboard, paper, containers, document shredding, etc.). The Monroe County ecopark may be used for recyclables managment by Monroe County households only.
Disposing of Hazardous Waste for Households
No Fee Charged:
- The ecopark's household hazardous waste (HHW) collection program is free for Monroe County households with home-use chemicals (paints, pesticides, auto-care products, etc.) by appointment only. Click here for details.
- Households located outside Monroe County may use the ecopark's HHW program for a fee. Simply download, complete and return an out-of-county form (pdf) / (excel format) listing the materials intended for disposal. County staff will review the form, provide a cost estimate and schedule an appointment for the service.
- Monroe County households that have somehow acquired industrial-use paints/chemicals may properly dispose of these materials for a fee by using the above-linked form and process.
Disposing of Hazardous Waste for Non-Households For a Fee
The Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator (CESQG) program assists qualified small businesses, not-for-profits, churches, etc. in the proper disposal of hazardous waste for a fee. Since 1995, the CESQG program has handled almost 2,400 appointments to accept waste from these entities in Monroe and surrounding counties. Under its New York State Department of Environmental Conservation permit, the ecopark will accept CESQG waste only if a business meets both the following qualifications:
Generates less than 1 kg/month (2.2 pounds) of acute Hazardous Waste (as defined by 6 NYCRR Part 371); and never stores more than this amount on site at any time.
Generates less than 100 kg/month (220 pounds) of listed and/or characteristic hazardous waste (as defined by 6 NYCRR Part 371); and never stores more than 1,000 kg/month (2,200 pounds).
- The interested business fills out a CESQG Form and forwards the information to the county’s Industrial Waste Section. The form includes business type, company name, contact name, and identification of waste type and quantity.
- The county ensures the business is qualified and calculates an estimated disposal fee (generally, a lower price than a business would receive from a private hazardous waste contractor).
- An appointment is arranged for the business to deliver the material (self-transport is an additional cost savings to the small business).
The completed CESQG Form must be returned to the Monroe County Department of Environmental Services via fax (585 324-1212) or mail to:
Monroe County Department of Environmental Services
145 Paul Road - Bldg. 10
Rochester, New York 14624
Attn: Industrial Waste Section
For more information on this program, call 585 753-7553.