Industrial Waste Control Section
The Industrial Waste Control Section is responsible for protecting the department’s employees, collection system, treatment plants, public and environment from harmful discharges to the sewer system. Protection is accomplished, in part, with wastewater discharge limits set by the United States Environmental Protection Agency through its Pretreatment Program and set by the County for additional pollutants of concern. Monroe County’s environmental laws and limits are written in the Sewer Use Law (231k PDF). The purposes of the Sewer Use Law are as follows:
- Control and regulate discharges into the county sanitary, storm and/or combined sewers and their tributaries;
- Prohibit excessive volumes of flow and the discharge of various listed substances/materials;
- Prohibit and/or regulate discharges (industrial or other) that would cost more to treat than normal sewage;
- Require the pretreatment of discharges if they could harm the sewer system, interfere with the treatment process or pass through the system untreated or partially treated thereby exceeding discharge limits;
- Protect public health and prevent nuisances;
- Provide cooperation between involved government agencies; and,
- Give the county the authority and procedure to make regulations, issue permits, conduct investigations, hold hearings, issue decisions, orders and opinions.
The Section also operates the Household Hazardous Waste collection program to further protect the environment from hazardous wastes. Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators can utilize the facility to dispose of hazardous waste.
Download the Monroe County Sewer Use Law (231k PDF).
Download the Pure Waters Districts Rules and Regulations (224k PDF).
The following applications for permits issued by the Industrial Waste Control Section are available on-line.
- Sewer Use Permit—industrial discharge permit
- Short Term Permit—discharges lasting less than 6 months
- Scavenger Waste Hauler Discharge Permit—septic and other hauled wastes
- Solids Disposal Permit—municipal wastewater treatment plant solids, commercial pretreatment solids
- Recreational Vehicle Discharge Permit