Facts About Mental Illness and Violence
A Message From the NYS Office of Mental Health
Click on the link to open the full text of a message posted by Kristin M. Woodlock, Acting Commissioner of NYS Office of Mental Health. Facts about Mental Illness and Violence
For Information about Coping with Mass Violence and Shooting
CLICK HERE to go to SAMHSA website
Personalized Recovery-Oriented Services (PROS)
What is PROS?
PROS Programs are one of the newest recovery and rehabilitation services available in our community. The PROS model is the result of a New York State initiative to consolidate a variety of previous stand alone services into comprehensive, state-of-the-art rehabilitation programs that offer a full range of services at a single site.
According to the New York State Office of Mental Health,
"Personalized Recovery Oriented Services (PROS) is a comprehensive recovery oriented program for individuals with severe and persistent mental illness. The goal of the program is to integrate treatment, support, and rehabilitation in a manner that facilitates the individual's recovery. Goals for individuals in the program are to: improve functioning, reduce inpatient utilization, reduce emergency services, reduce contact with the criminal justice system, increase employment, attain higher levels of education, and secure preferred housing."
Who is eligible for PROS?
PROS services are available to individuals 18 and older who have mental health concerns that get in the way of their employment, education and social goals.
What are the services offered in a PROS program?
There are up to four Components in a PROS program:
- Community Rehabilitation and Support (CRS), which are services designed to help an individual develop the skills and supports needed to live successfully in the community.
- Intensive Rehabilitation (IR), more intensive services that can focus on relapse prevention, family involvement, treatment of co-occurring mental health and substance use issues, and other short term goal attainment.
- Ongoing Rehabilitation and Support (ORS), which are services designed to help individuals to maintain employment.
- Clinical Treatment in a PROS program is an optional service that can replace an individual's outpatient mental health services. Participants can benefit from the other services listed above while receiving clinical services that focus on managing symptoms, improving functioning in life roles and integration of physical and mental health issues.
More information from NYS OMH about the PROS program model can be found at http://www.omh.ny.gov/omhweb/pros/.
Are all PROS programs the same?
There are three PROS licensing options:
- Comprehensive PROS with Clinic Treatment, which contains all of the components listed above.
- Compresive PROS without Clinic Treatment, which contains all of the components above except for clinic treatment.
- Limited License PROS, which focuses solely on employment goals and the intensive services needed to achieve them ((i.e., ORS and IR services).
Where can I find PROS services in Monroe County?
There are currently five Comprehensive PROS in our community. These programs are listed below. Feel free to contact any of these programs for additional information.
Comprehensive PROS with Clinic Programs:
Catholic Family Center - Main Street PROS
30 North Clinton Avenue, Rochester, NY 14604
Telephone: 546-7220 x5710
DePaul PROS at DePaul City Center
150 Mount Hope Avenue, Rochester 14620
Rochester General Health System PROS at Genesee Mental Health Center
224 Alexander Street, Rocehster, NY 14607
Rochester Rehabilitation Center - Ventures PROS
975 Elmwood Avenue, Rochester, NY 14620
Unity PROS at Evelyn Brandon Health Center
81 Lake Avenue, Rochester, NY 14608