The Monroe County Parks Department is comprised of dedicated staff working with community partners in effectively and efficiently providing an array of park services. This ensures that everyone may enjoy recreational and educational opportunities while treasuring the natural, zoological, horticultural, historical and geological features of the Monroe County Parks System.
Find information about, and maps for, each of the beautiful and unique Monroe County Parks by clicking on the Park link in the column on the left side of the screen.
Parks Announcements & News
Administrative Office Holiday Closures
- The Parks Administration Office will be closed on Tuesday, November 8th, 2016, in observance of Election Day.
- We will re-open on Wednesday, November 9th at 8:30am.
- The Parks Administration Office will also be closed on Friday, November 11th, 2016, in observance of Veterans' Day.
Calendars of Events In the Parks for:
- November & December (coming soon)
Dog Park Registration
Please click here for our October schedule of registration opportunities.
Seasonal Parks Information
- Carousel: The historic Dentzel Menagerie Carousel at Ontario Beach is open seasonally from noon to 9pm on the following schedule:
- 2016 Carousel press release here
- Memorial Day Weekend (Friday through Monday)
- On weekends (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) Post-Memorial Day until the opening day of swimming, and then
- the opening day of swimming through Labor Day (Open Daily; 7-Days per Week)
- Disc Golf: Baskets at Churchville and Ellison Parks go up for the season in mid April, and stay up until early November.
- Tennis and pickleball: Nets at Churchville, Ellison, Greece Canal, Ontario Beach, and Webster Parks go up for the season around May 1st and stay up until around October 31st.
- Athletic fields: Fields are open May 1st for the spring season, and stay open through October 31st (dependent on conditions). We do not permit usage during November, through April. We start accepting Special Use Field Applications (for spring, summer, and fall seasons) each year on the last Friday of January at 8:30am.
- Swimming: Swimming at Ontario Beach is open (dependent on conditions) from the 2nd to last (or last Friday) in June through and including Labor Day.
Off-road Cycling: Permitted only in Tryon Park and Irondequoit Bay Park West and is strongly discouraged when trails are wet and/or muddy.
Boat Launch (motorized boats): The boat launch at Irondequoit Bay Marine Park opens for the season on the Friday of Memorial Day weekend and stays open until Labor Day (fees will apply during this period).
Prior to, and after that period, the launch is not staffed, and can be used as-is.
There are two docks in place during the season.
You can also put-in at the boat launch at the Port of Charlotte, near Ontario Beach Park, any time of year. That launch is managed by the City of Rochester.
Boat Launch (canoes & kayaks): Launches at Black Creek, Ellison, Irondequoit Bay Park West, and Mendon Ponds Parks are available.
Ice Skating- Rinks at Churchville, Ellison, and Highland Parks are open seasonally, as conditions allow, during winter months.
Downhill Skiing- Here are the 2016-2017 brochures for Swain's Ski Center's Learn To Ski & Snowboard at Northampton and Powder Mills Parks!
Sledding- Designated sledding hills can found at Black Creek, Ellison, Mendon Ponds, Northampton, Powder Mills, and Webster Parks. Sledding in non-designated areas is not permitted.
For information on Winter activities, please click here.
Special Use Permits
Please click here for Special Use Permit Applications
Examples of Special Use include:
- Charity and other Runs, Bike Rides, Walks
- Open to the Public Fundraisers/ Charity Events/ Awareness Events
- Races (Snowshoe, Road, Trail, Bike, Triathlons, large XC Meets, etc.)
- Festivals, Fairs, Carnivals, Expos, public Picnics
- Summer Camps
- Fishing Derbies
- Large, public, outdoor recreation events (e.g. orienteering)
- Military , Police, Fire, Ambulance Trainings
- Memorial Events (Fred Doug, AIDS, Workers, Victims, Vietnam Vets
- Ticketed Events
- Religious Ed/ Info Booths
- Regattas/ Boat races
- Large Company picnics
- Large or Open to the Public Fundraiser picnics
- Horse events/ Rides
- Commercial and Student Film/Photo Shoots
- Wellness Events/ Festivals
- Music events (e.g. Drum Corps) and Theater performances
- Motorcycle rides and Car Shows
- Food Truck events
- Other (e.g. Model Flying Field Events, Ham Radio Event, Public Safety awareness Event)
- Public programs, classes, Hikes, Tours,Trail runs, Walking classes/groups, Birding hikes, Canoe/ kayak “hikes”
- Exercise classes, Yoga, Boot camp, Running training, Fitness training, HikYoga, Disc Golf tournaments, Bike demo days
- Large Athletic/ Sports Tournaments
- Large Scout Camping Events (e.g. Klondikes, Camporees)
- Education/ Environmental Ed Events
- Sports leagues, Kickball, Softball, Ultimate Frisbee, Wiffleball, Soccer, Rugby, Cricket
MONROE COUNTY PARKS by the numbers
- 12,000 Acres
- 21 Parks
- 35 Athletic Fields
- 300 Special Events
- Endless miles of trails
- 1 Conservatory
- 1 Public Campground
- 4 Scout/Youth Camping Areas
- 2 Dog Parks
- with reciprocal access to 2 others
- 2 Arboretums (Durand and Highland)
- 2 parks for Off-road cycling
- 1 Beach for Swimming
- 3 Piers
1 motor boat launch
4 Canoe and Kayak launches
1 Fish hatchery (Powder Mills)
1 Model airplane flying field (Northampton)
5 parks with Pickleball courts
4 parks with Tennis courts
6 parks with Designated Sledding Hills
2 parks with Downhill Skiing
3 parks with Groomed Cross Country Ski Trails
2 Disc Golf Courses
3 parks with Golf Courses
3 Ice Skating Rinks
1 Working/Educational Farm (Springdale Farm)
1 Bird Sanctuary (Wild Wings, Inc.)