Opportunities for Youth
Deputy Sheriff Trainee Program
The Deputy Sheriff Trainee Program is offered to qualified college students (enrolled as full-time students) who are interested in becoming law enforcement or corrections officers, providing an opportunity for on-the-job experience encompassing all areas of the Monroe County Sheriff's Office. Trainees earn $5.80-6.80 per hour.
- Candidates must be students enrolled at a local college, be at least 17 years of age and a resident of Monroe County.
- The trainee applicant will undergo an oral interview arranged by the Program Administrator and must meet physical and entrance standards established by the Sheriff.
- The successful applicant must maintain a curriculum comprising 12 credit hours of instruction with a minimum grade point average of 2.0 and agree to provide a copy of each semester's grades to this department. A GPA falling below 2.0 will cause the trainee to be placed on a probationary status for one semester.
- Deputy Sheriff Trainees are classified as part-time, hourly employees and as such receive limited benefits. Uniforms and a cleaning service will be provided.
College Student Intern Program
The intern program provides the opportunity for college students to experience the inner workings of one of the largest Sheriff Offices in New York State. An intern may be assigned to a wide variety of positions, keeping in mind the student's career goals and on-going internal projects. The Sheriff's Office typically places interns in the following areas: Road Patrol, Civil Bureau, Court Bureau, Jail Bureau, Staff Services, Marine Patrol, Medical Examiner's Office, and the District Attorney's Office. The program operates year round but the openings are limited. Candidates are encouraged to apply by submitting a resume and a cover letter indicating the candidate's hours of availability, areas of interest and hours required. There is no pay associated with the internships but the experiences and working knowledge gained are invaluable.
Current college student
3.0 GPA or better
Approval from the school's intern program coordinator
Pass a background check
Pass an oral interview
Adherence to all Sheriff's Office rules and policies
Mature-minded professional demeanor
Hard worker seeking life experience
Rochester Institute of Technology
Monroe Community College
Genesee Community College
St. John Fisher College
Roberts Wesleyan College
Rochester Business Institute
Bryant and Stratton Institute
Send a cover letter and resume to the address
Intern Program Coordinator
Monroe County Sheriff's Office
130 S. Plymouth Ave.
Rochester, N.Y. 14614
For more information contact the Recruitment Unit at 753-4705/4706
Sheriff Explorer Post
The Boy Scouts of America makes Exploring available to our nation's youth by chartering community organizations to operate Explorer Posts.
The Monroe County Sheriff's Explorer Post #604 (east side of Monroe County) and Post #629 (west side of Monroe County) were established with the support of the Boy Scouts of America to offer young men and women an insight into the field of law enforcement as a possible career choice. Explorer Post members provide helpful services to the Monroe County Sheriff's Office and the community.
Post activities include:
- Parking details
- Career days
- Parade details
- Assistance in special community events
- Many other community service functions
Explorers receive specialized training from the Regional Criminal Justice Training Center and the Monroe County Law Enforcement Training Academy. They also participate in the ride-along program during which they are able to experience how patrol officers handle various situations.
Posts # 604 & 629 are chartered organizations and we agree to use the Explorer program in accordance with their own policies as well as those of the Boy Scouts of America.
Explorers are supervised by one adult at all Post functions. Parents, advisors and Post leaders must work together to solve discipline problems. All Exploring activities are open to parental visitation.
To be eligible for membership in the Monroe County Sheriff's Office Explorer Post, a candidate must:
- Be between 14-20 years old and in high school
- Pay an $11.00 (includes insurance) Boy Scouts of America registration fee
- Successfully complete a six-month probationary period
- Maintain a "C" average in academics
The applicant does not need to be a current or former Boy Scout or Girl Scout.
For more information contact:
Boy Scouts of America
474 East Avenue
Rochester, New York 14607
For more information contact the appropriate Shriff's Explorer Post:
Sheriff's Explorer Post #604 (east side of Monroe County) 753-4397
Sheriff's Explorer Post #629 (west side of Monroe County) 753-4456