Who We Are
Youth Adult Partnership
Youth Adult Partnership, State Local Collaborative Positive Youth Development (SLCPYD), is a partnership that works together towards positive youth development and positive neighborhood change in the Sector 8 Community.
- Local Sector 8 youth adult partnerships participating in the Youth As Resources process
- Youth As Resources
- Youth Voice, One Vision City/County Youth Council
- Community Place of Greater Rochester
- NorthEast Area Development (NEAD)
- Neighbors Building Neighborhoods (NBN)
- City of Rochester Department of Recreation and Youth Services
- Rochester-Monroe County Youth Bureau
- New York State Office of Children and Family Services
- Family and Youth Services Bureau of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
What Is Community Youth Development?
Young people grow up in communities as well as in families, programs, and schools.
Community Youth Development is working in partnership with young people to strengthen their ties to community—family, neighborhood, school, friends—and working with communities to value and support youth.
The Positive Youth Development approach is not a new concept.
Experts on youth long ago identified four factors that allow most young people to stay on the right track:
- A sense of competence: being able to do something well
- A sense of usefulness: having something to contribute
- A sense of belonging: being part of a group or a community
- A sense of power: having control over one’s future
Young people, therefore, benefit from having opportunities to grow and develop in different aspects of their lives; intellectually, socially, psychologically, physically, and morally.
When communities learn to value and meaningfully involve youth, it is not only the young people who benefit.
When young people are actively engaged in the context of the broader community, they become valuable contributors to the quality of community life. A Positive Youth Development approach, therefore, emphasizes youth as resources, both for enhancing the quality of community life today and for building strong communities in the future.