Open the Online Voter Information.
NOTE: Generally you cannot register online. An actual form delivered either through the mail or directly to the Board of Elections is required. If you have a current, valid NYS drivers' license and are making a change to your DMV record through your "My DMV" online account, you will have the opportunity to submit online a voter registration form application to either register or make a change to a current voter registration. In all cases, if you recently registered to vote please use the link above to verify that your registration has been received by the Board of Elections and processed accurately.
- You must be at least 18 years of age by the date of the election in which you want to vote
- You must be a United States Citizen
- You must be a resident of Monroe County for at least 30 days prior to the election
- You must not be in prison or on parole for a felony conviction
- You must not be claiming the right to vote elsewhere
Registering In Person
Registration forms are available at most government offices, post offices and libraries or you may register in person at the Monroe County Board of Elections Office, 39 W. Main Street, Rochester, New York (Monday through Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.).
Choosing the Correct Form
When registering to vote via the DMV make sure you receive the correct form. One form allows you to register for the first time, the other form is used if you've moved within Monroe County and wish to notify the Board of Elections of your new address to maintain active voting status. Also note it can take up to a month for registrations from the DMV and other social service agenies to reach the board. Therefore your registration will be postmarked timely as of the date received by the Monroe County Board of Elections.
Requesting a Voter’s Registration Over the Phone
Call 585 753-1550 and a registration form will be sent to you in the mail to complete and return.
Register By Mail or e-Mail a Request for a Voter Registration Form
Print an application form here (English Voter Registration Form or Spanish Voter Registration Form), complete and return through the mail; or, e-mail your request for a registration form to be sent to you. Be sure to include your mailing address.
If you want to vote in an election, you must mail or deliver your completed registration form to the Board of Elections no later than 25 days before the election in which you want to vote. Your eligibility to vote will be based on the date you file this form, and the county board will notify you of such.
Voter Registration Forms
*Please note a voter cannot submit a registration form online or by fax, an original signature is required so registration forms must be delivered to the Board of Elections either by mail or in person.
- Complete the entire registration form.
Remember to check the box next to the political party in which you wish to enroll. If you do not wish to be affiliated with any party, check the appropriate box.
- Sign and date your registration form in blue or black ink. This is required!
- Mail (do not fax) the completed registration form.
Send to: Monroe County Board of Elections
39 W. Main St.
Rochester, New York 14614
Note: This address is for Monroe County residents only.
Download the English Voter Registration Form
Download the Spanish Voter Registration Form
Re-Registering or Changing Your Information
- Once you register, you are permanently registered unless you move.
- Name, address or party enrollment changes can be made by submitting a new registration form in any manner permitted for a registration application.
- If you move, your notice of change of address must be received by the Board of Elections up to:
- 20 days before the election in which you seek to vote.
- If you have missed the 20 day deadline, you may contact the Board of Elections for your new polling site where you will be allowed to vote on a paper ballot.
- A change of enrollment takes effect following the first general election occurring at least 25 days after the form is filed.