The Monroe County Parks Department is comprised of dedicated staff working with community partners in effectively and efficiently providing an array of park services. This ensures that everyone may enjoy recreational and educational opportunities while treasuring the natural, zoological, horticultural, historical and geological features of the Monroe County Parks System.
Parks Announcements & News
Events Coming Up at The Parks:
*January 1- Freezeroo Race #1: New Year’s Resolution Run at Mendon Ponds Park, hosted by the Greater Rochester Track Club
January 1- Birding Hike at Durand Eastman Park, hosted by the Rochester Birding Association
January 17- Birding Hike at Irondequoit Bay Marine Park, hosted by the Rochester Birding Association
January 18- Mendon Ponds Winterfest at Mendon Ponds Park, hosted by the Rochester Nordic Ski Club
*January 24- Freezeroo Race #4: The Hearnish 10K at Powder Mills Park, hosted by the Greater Rochester Track Club
January 24- Birding Hike at Mendon Ponds Park, hosted by the Rochester Birding Association
January 25- Town of Riga Winterfest at Churchville Park, hosted by the Town of Riga Recreation Department
*January 25- Snowshoe Trails Run at Mendon Ponds Park, hosted by Fleet Feet Sports
*Indicates registration required through host organization
For more information, click here.
Monroe County Shared Use Trails
Pilot Program Final Report
The Department of Parks has received and reviewed the Monroe County Shared Use Trails Pilot Program Final Report from our consultant Environmental Design & Research (EDR). Representatives of EDR and the Department of Parks will make a presentation on the report at the December Parks Advisory Committee (PAC) Meeting on Thursday, December 18th at 4:00 p.m. at the Cornell Cooperative Extension Auditorium, 249 Highland Avenue, Rochester, NY 14620. All are welcome to attend.
Members of the PAC will formally review this report at the December Meeting. Public comment and questions on this report will be solicited at the meeting as well. If you are unable to attend but still wish to make a comment on the report prior to the meeting, you are welcome to do so by sending an e-mail to: email@example.com.
For more information, click here.
Seasonal Parks Updates (As of November 21st):
- Tennis and pickleball nets have been removed for the season at all Monroe County Parks.
- Athletic fields are closed for rental as of November 1st.
- Horseback riding is not permitted during fall or winter.
- Ice skating rinks, sledding hills, cross country ski trails, and downhill ski hills will open for the 2014-2015 season as conditions allow.
Dog Park News:
Off-leash Dog Parks: December On-Site Registration Hours
Sunday, December 7th from 9-11am- Ellison Park in Creekside Lodge
Sunday, December 7th from 1-3pm- Greece Canal Park in the Park Office
As of November 1, 2014, all new registrations are good through the end of 2015!
2015 Renewals for current registered dogs have been sent out by U.S. Mail.
*Please note: You must bring documentation of the dog's license from your town of residence (not the metal tag) and of the dog's rabies vaccination from your veterinarian or clinic. We can photograph the originals if you do not have copies for us to keep. Dogs must be at least 6 months of age to qualify to register.
- **NEW DOG PARK!** The Town of Henrietta has opened a legal off-leash Dog Park, too! It is called Lookup Park, and it is located at 3850 East Henrietta Road. For more information, please visit www.henrietta.org. The registration process, rules, guidelines, etc. are the same as the Monroe County Parks' Dog Parks.
Ontario Beach Park:
Movies in the Parks:
- FREE Movies in the Parks is completed for the 2014 summer season, as of July 24th, 2014. Please check back for next season's details!
Winter Activities in the Monroe County Parks
*These activities are done at your own risk.
We all love our parks. Please help protect our parks and be responsible caretakers when enjoying the great outdoors.
- Check out this "birding checklist" to keep track of the birds you see in the Monroe County Parks (compliments of the Rochester Birding Association).
- Check out this "horticulture checklist" to keep track of the trees, plants, flowers, and shrubs you see in the Poet's Garden of Highland Park, and the park itself (compliments of the Highland Park Conservancy).
Monroe County Emerald Ash Borer Task Force (MCEABTF) Information
The Monroe County Parks Department, in cooperation with the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation coordinates the MCEABTF. This is a volunteer organization of forestry professionals, scientists, natural resource managers, local officials, and private citizens. MCEABTF has organized to facilitate a science-based response to the economic, ecological, and public safety impacts within the forests and communities of Monroe County.