The Monroe County Parks Department is comprised of dedicated staff working with community partners in effectively and efficiently providing an array of park services. This ensures that everyone may enjoy recreational and educational opportunities while treasuring the natural, zoological, horticultural, historical and geological features of the Monroe County Parks System.
Parks Announcements & News
Calendar of Events In the Parks for:
- August 2015, please click here
- Sepember 2015, please click here
Seasonal Parks Updates (As of noon, Monday, August 10th, 2015):
- Swimming is open at Ontario Beach Park everyday from 11am-7pm (while conditions allow, and when lifeguards are on duty). For information, please call 585-753-5887
- Tennis and pickleball: Nets at Churchville, Ellison, Greece Canal, Ontario Beach, and Webster Parks are up until mid November.
Disc golf: Baskets at Churchville and Ellison Parks are up until mid November.
Athletic fields: Are open for the season, however, please check with Admin Office for day-to-day conditions, as weather and ground conditions change daily.
Horseback riding: Is not permitted during fall or winter in the Monroe County Parks. During spring, we strongly discourage use when trails are wet and/or muddy.
Off-road Cycling: Is strongly discouraged when trails are wet and/or muddy.
Ice Skating, Downhill Skiing, Sledding, Cross-Country Skiing, Snowshoeing, and Ice Fishing are done for the 2014-2015 season.
- Dog Park News:
Off-leash Dog Parks: September, October Registration Hours
- Thursday, September 3rd, from 4-6pm: At Pet$aver Healthy Pet Superstore at 1596 Ridge Road West, Stoneridge Plaza, Rochester, NY, 14615.
- Saturday, September 5th, 9-11am: Ellison Park, off Blossom Road, at the picnic table near the Dog Park. We'll be under a pop-up tent if necessary.
- Thursday, September 10th, from 6-8pm: At Pet$aver Healthy Pet Superstore at 2947 Monroe Avenue, Monroe Clover Plaza, Rochester, NY, 14618
- Sunday, September 13th, from 1-3pm: At Greece Canal Park (off Elmgrove Road) in the Park Office, which is just inside the park, on the left.
- Thursday, October 1st, 4-6pm: At Pet$aver Healthy Pet Superstore at 1596 Ridge Road West, Stoneridge Plaza, Rochester, NY, 14615.
- Thursday, October 8th, from 6-8pm: At Pet$aver Healthy Pet Superstore at 2947 Monroe Avenue, Monroe Clover Plaza, Rochester, NY, 14618.
All new registrations are good through the end of 2015!
Renewal packets for 2016 will be mailed to currently-registered dog owners around Thanksgiving.
*Please note: You must bring documentation of the dog's license from your town of residence (not the metal tag) and of the dog's rabies vaccination from your veterinarian or clinic. We can photograph the originals if you do not have copies for us to keep. Dogs must be at least 6 months of age to qualify to register.
- **NEW DOG PARK!** The Town of Henrietta has opened a legal off-leash Dog Park, too! It is called Lookup Park, and it is located at 3850 East Henrietta Road. For more information, please visit www.henrietta.org. The registration process, rules, guidelines, etc. are the same as the Monroe County Parks' Dog Parks.
Monroe County Shared Use Trails- Pilot Program Final Report
The Department of Parks has received and reviewed the Monroe County Shared Use Trails Pilot Program Final Report from our consultant Environmental Design & Research (EDR). Representatives of EDR and the Department of Parks will make a presentation on the report at the December Parks Advisory Committee (PAC) Meeting on Thursday, December 18th at 4:00 p.m. at the Cornell Cooperative Extension Auditorium, 249 Highland Avenue, Rochester, NY 14620. All are welcome to attend.
Members of the PAC will formally review this report at the December Meeting. Public comment and questions on this report will be solicited at the meeting as well. If you are unable to attend but still wish to make a comment on the report prior to the meeting, you are welcome to do so by sending an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, click here.
Winter Activities in the Monroe County Parks
*These activities are done at your own risk.
We all love our parks. Please help protect our parks and be responsible caretakers when enjoying the great outdoors.
- Check out this "birding checklist" to keep track of the birds you see in the Monroe County Parks (compliments of the Rochester Birding Association).
- Check out this "horticulture checklist" to keep track of the trees, plants, flowers, and shrubs you see in the Poet's Garden of Highland Park, and the park itself (compliments of the Highland Park Conservancy).
Monroe County Emerald Ash Borer Task Force (MCEABTF) Information
The Monroe County Parks Department, in cooperation with the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation coordinates the MCEABTF. This is a volunteer organization of forestry professionals, scientists, natural resource managers, local officials, and private citizens. MCEABTF has organized to facilitate a science-based response to the economic, ecological, and public safety impacts within the forests and communities of Monroe County.