The Monroe County Parks Department is comprised of dedicated staff working with community partners in effectively and efficiently providing an array of park services. This ensures that everyone may enjoy recreational and educational opportunities while treasuring the natural, zoological, horticultural, historical and geological features of the Monroe County Parks System.
Parks Announcements & News
County Executive Maggie Brooks invites you to "Pick Up the Parks" on Saturday, April 25th at 9am. Official Press Release here.
Events Coming Up at The Parks:
- April 24- Arbor Day Event at Genesee Valley Park, hosted by the Monroe County Parks
- April 25- 6th annual Pick Up the Parks event at most County Parks, hosted by County Executive Maggie Brooks and Monroe County Parks
- April 25- Victim’s Rights Week Memorial Ceremony at Highland Park, hosted by Monroe County/City of Rochester Coalition for Crime Victims
- *April 25- Rochester River Challenge at Genesee Valley Park, hosted by YellowJacket Racing
- *April 25- CURE Childhood Cancer 5k at Seneca Park, hosted by CURE Childhood Cancer Association
- April 26- Trail Hike at Mendon Ponds Park, hosted by Fleet Feet Sports
- April 26- Orienteering Meet at Genesee Valley Park, hosted by the Rochester Orienteering Club
- April 28- Workers’ Memorial Day Ceremony at Highland Park, hosted by Rochester Labor Council
- *April 28- Marathon Training Class at Mendon Ponds Park, hosted by Fleet Feet Sports
- April 29- Big Band Dance Series at the Roger Robach Community Center in Ontario Beach Park, hosted by Ontario Beach Park Program Committee
- April 29- Birding Hike at Highland Park, hosted by the Rochester Birding Association
- April 30- Birding Hike at Lucien Morin Park, hosted by the Rochester Birding Association
- *May 1- Envirothon at Ellison Park, hosted by the Monroe County Soil & Water Conservation District
- *May 2- 2015 Run/Walk for Life at Highland Park Bowl, hosted by CompassCare
- *May 2- Rochester March for Babies at Genesee Valley Park, hosted by the March of Dimes
- *May 3- Walk MS Rochester at Genesee Valley Park, hosted by National Multiple Sclerosis Society
- *May 3- Medved Madness at Mendon Ponds Park, hosted by Medved Running & Walking
- *May 3- National Nurses’ Week Scrubs & Stethoscopes 5K Run/Walk at Mendon Ponds Park, hosted by UR Medical Center/Strong Memorial Hospital
- May 3- Kite Flight at Ontario Beach Park, hosted by by Ontario Beach Park Program Committee
- *May 3- Operation KidFit at Seneca Park, hosted by Genesee Community Charter School
- May 3- Hike/Tour of the Arboretum at Durand Eastman Park, hosted by the Cornell Cooperative Extension Foresters
- May 3- Group Hike at Black Creek Park, hosted by the Genesee Valley Hiking Club
- May 3- Group Hike at Mendon Ponds Park, hosted by the Genesee Valley Hiking Club
- May 4- Pansy Bed Rededication at Highland Park, hosted by the Rochester Garden Club
*Indicates registration required through host organization
For a full spring calendar, including contact information for each event organizer, click HERE.
- Seasonal Parks Updates (As of 9am, Wednesday, April 20th, 2015):
- Tennis and pickleball: Nets at Churchville, Ellison, Greece Canal, Ontario Beach, and Webster Parks are up for the 2015 season.
- Disc golf: Baskets at Churchville and Ellison Parks are up for the 2015 season.
- Athletic fields: Are open for the season, however, please check with Admin Office for day-to-day conditions, as weather and ground conditions change daily.
- Horseback riding: Is not permitted during fall or winter in the Monroe County Parks. During spring, we strongly discourage use when trails are wet and/or muddy.
- Off-road Cycling: Is strongly discouraged when trails are wet and/or muddy.
- Ice Skating, Downhill Skiing, Sledding, Cross-Country Skiing, Snowshoeing, and Ice Fishing are done for the 2014-2015 season.
- Dog Park News:
Off-leash Dog Parks: May Registration Hours
- Thursday, May 7th, 4-6pm: At Pet$aver Healthy Pet Superstore at 1596 Ridge Road West, Stoneridge Plaza, Rochester, NY, 14615.
- Thursday, May 14th, from 4-6pm: At Pet$aver Healthy Pet Superstore at 2947 Monroe Avenue, Monroe Clover Plaza, Rochester, NY, 14618.
- Sunday, May TBD, 1-3pm: Greece Canal Park, off Elmgrove Road, in the Park Office, which is just inside the park, on the left.
- Sunday, May TBD, 9-11am: Ellison Park, off Blossom Road, in Creekside Lodge, which is on the north side of the park.
All new registrations are good through the end of 2015!
*Please note: You must bring documentation of the dog's license from your town of residence (not the metal tag) and of the dog's rabies vaccination from your veterinarian or clinic. We can photograph the originals if you do not have copies for us to keep. Dogs must be at least 6 months of age to qualify to register.
- **NEW DOG PARK!** The Town of Henrietta has opened a legal off-leash Dog Park, too! It is called Lookup Park, and it is located at 3850 East Henrietta Road. For more information, please visit www.henrietta.org. The registration process, rules, guidelines, etc. are the same as the Monroe County Parks' Dog Parks.
Monroe County Shared Use Trails- Pilot Program Final Report
The Department of Parks has received and reviewed the Monroe County Shared Use Trails Pilot Program Final Report from our consultant Environmental Design & Research (EDR). Representatives of EDR and the Department of Parks will make a presentation on the report at the December Parks Advisory Committee (PAC) Meeting on Thursday, December 18th at 4:00 p.m. at the Cornell Cooperative Extension Auditorium, 249 Highland Avenue, Rochester, NY 14620. All are welcome to attend.
Members of the PAC will formally review this report at the December Meeting. Public comment and questions on this report will be solicited at the meeting as well. If you are unable to attend but still wish to make a comment on the report prior to the meeting, you are welcome to do so by sending an e-mail to: email@example.com.
For more information, click here.
Winter Activities in the Monroe County Parks
*These activities are done at your own risk.
We all love our parks. Please help protect our parks and be responsible caretakers when enjoying the great outdoors.
- Check out this "birding checklist" to keep track of the birds you see in the Monroe County Parks (compliments of the Rochester Birding Association).
- Check out this "horticulture checklist" to keep track of the trees, plants, flowers, and shrubs you see in the Poet's Garden of Highland Park, and the park itself (compliments of the Highland Park Conservancy).
Monroe County Emerald Ash Borer Task Force (MCEABTF) Information
The Monroe County Parks Department, in cooperation with the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation coordinates the MCEABTF. This is a volunteer organization of forestry professionals, scientists, natural resource managers, local officials, and private citizens. MCEABTF has organized to facilitate a science-based response to the economic, ecological, and public safety impacts within the forests and communities of Monroe County.