The Monroe County Parks Department is comprised of dedicated staff working with community partners in effectively and efficiently providing an array of park services. This ensures that everyone may enjoy recreational and educational opportunities while treasuring the natural, zoological, horticultural, historical and geological features of the Monroe County Parks System.
Parks Announcements & News
The Parks Administration Office will be closed on Monday, February 16th, 2015 in observance of Presidents' Day.
Events Coming Up at The Parks:
- February 7 & 8- Lakeside Winter Festival at Ontario Beach Park, hosted by the Ontario Beach Park Program Committee, including Polar Plunge!
- *February 7- Greece Lions Snowgolf Tournament at Greece Canal Park, hosted by the Greece Lions Club
- February 15- Orienteering Event at Webster Park, hosted by the Rochester Orienteering Club
- *February 22- Snowshoe Trails Run at Mendon Ponds Park, hosted by Fleet Feet Sports
- *February 28- Marathon Training Class at Ellison Park, hosted by Fleet Feet Sports
*Indicates registration required through host organization
For more information, click here.
- Seasonal Parks Updates (As of 8am, January 27th, 2015):
- Ice skating rinks at Churchville, Ellison, and Highland Parks are open.
- They will be open from 10am until 10pm as conditions allow.
- Downhill ski hills at Northampton and Powder Mills Parks are open per Swain's hours, and groomed as needed.
- The designated sledding hills in 6 parks have variable amounts of snow on them and can be used as-is, during regular park hours.
- Groomed cross country ski trails are available in Durand Eastman, Mendon Ponds, and Webster Parks, and have variable amounts of snow on them. They will remain open as conditions allow.
- Cross country skiing on other trails and in other fields in other parks have variable amounts of snow on them and can be used as-is, during regular park hours.
- Snowshoeing can be done on park trails and fields as conditions allow, but snowshoers are asked to travel alongside groomed cross country ski trails.
- Tennis and pickleball nets have been removed for the season at all Monroe County Parks, as of mid-November, 2014.
- Athletic fields are closed for rental for the season at all Monroe County Parks, as of November 1st, 2014.
- Horseback riding is not permitted during fall or winter in the Monroe County Parks.
- Dog Park News:
Off-leash Dog Parks: February On-Site Registration Hours
As of November 1, 2014, all new registrations are good through the end of 2015!
2015 Renewals for current registered dogs were sent out by U.S. Mail in late 2014.
*Please note: You must bring documentation of the dog's license from your town of residence (not the metal tag) and of the dog's rabies vaccination from your veterinarian or clinic. We can photograph the originals if you do not have copies for us to keep. Dogs must be at least 6 months of age to qualify to register.
- **NEW DOG PARK!** The Town of Henrietta has opened a legal off-leash Dog Park, too! It is called Lookup Park, and it is located at 3850 East Henrietta Road. For more information, please visit www.henrietta.org. The registration process, rules, guidelines, etc. are the same as the Monroe County Parks' Dog Parks.
Monroe County Shared Use Trails- Pilot Program Final Report
The Department of Parks has received and reviewed the Monroe County Shared Use Trails Pilot Program Final Report from our consultant Environmental Design & Research (EDR). Representatives of EDR and the Department of Parks will make a presentation on the report at the December Parks Advisory Committee (PAC) Meeting on Thursday, December 18th at 4:00 p.m. at the Cornell Cooperative Extension Auditorium, 249 Highland Avenue, Rochester, NY 14620. All are welcome to attend.
Members of the PAC will formally review this report at the December Meeting. Public comment and questions on this report will be solicited at the meeting as well. If you are unable to attend but still wish to make a comment on the report prior to the meeting, you are welcome to do so by sending an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, click here.
Winter Activities in the Monroe County Parks
*These activities are done at your own risk.
We all love our parks. Please help protect our parks and be responsible caretakers when enjoying the great outdoors.
- Check out this "birding checklist" to keep track of the birds you see in the Monroe County Parks (compliments of the Rochester Birding Association).
- Check out this "horticulture checklist" to keep track of the trees, plants, flowers, and shrubs you see in the Poet's Garden of Highland Park, and the park itself (compliments of the Highland Park Conservancy).
Monroe County Emerald Ash Borer Task Force (MCEABTF) Information
The Monroe County Parks Department, in cooperation with the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation coordinates the MCEABTF. This is a volunteer organization of forestry professionals, scientists, natural resource managers, local officials, and private citizens. MCEABTF has organized to facilitate a science-based response to the economic, ecological, and public safety impacts within the forests and communities of Monroe County.