The Monroe County Parks Department is comprised of dedicated staff working with community partners in effectively and efficiently providing an array of park services. This ensures that everyone may enjoy recreational and educational opportunities while treasuring the natural, zoological, horticultural, historical and geological features of the Monroe County Parks System.
Parks Announcements & News
- July Events at the Parks, click here
- Seasonal Parks Updates (As of noon, Friday, July 3rd, 2015):
- Swimming is now open at Ontario Beach Park everyday from 11am-7pm (while lifeguards are on duty). For information, please call 585-753-5887
- Tennis and pickleball: Nets at Churchville, Ellison, Greece Canal, Ontario Beach, and Webster Parks are up for the 2015 season.
Disc golf: Baskets at Churchville and Ellison Parks are up for the 2015 season.
Athletic fields: Are open for the season, however, please check with Admin Office for day-to-day conditions, as weather and ground conditions change daily.
Horseback riding: Is not permitted during fall or winter in the Monroe County Parks. During spring, we strongly discourage use when trails are wet and/or muddy.
Off-road Cycling: Is strongly discouraged when trails are wet and/or muddy.
Ice Skating, Downhill Skiing, Sledding, Cross-Country Skiing, Snowshoeing, and Ice Fishing are done for the 2014-2015 season.
- Dog Park News:
Off-leash Dog Parks: July Registration Hours
- Thursday, July 2nd, 4-6pm: At Pet$aver Healthy Pet Superstore at 1596 Ridge Road West, Stoneridge Plaza, Rochester, NY, 14615.
- Thursday, July 9th, from 6-8pm: At Pet$aver Healthy Pet Superstore at 2947 Monroe Avenue, Monroe Clover Plaza, Rochester, NY, 14618.
- Sunday, July 12th, 9-11am: Ellison Park, off Blossom Road, at the picnic table near the Dog Park. We'll be under a pop-up tent if necessary.
- Sunday, July 12th, 1-3pm: Greece Canal Park (off Elmgrove Road) in the Park Office, which is just inside the park, on the left.
All new registrations are good through the end of 2015!
*Please note: You must bring documentation of the dog's license from your town of residence (not the metal tag) and of the dog's rabies vaccination from your veterinarian or clinic. We can photograph the originals if you do not have copies for us to keep. Dogs must be at least 6 months of age to qualify to register.
- **NEW DOG PARK!** The Town of Henrietta has opened a legal off-leash Dog Park, too! It is called Lookup Park, and it is located at 3850 East Henrietta Road. For more information, please visit www.henrietta.org. The registration process, rules, guidelines, etc. are the same as the Monroe County Parks' Dog Parks.
Monroe County Shared Use Trails- Pilot Program Final Report
The Department of Parks has received and reviewed the Monroe County Shared Use Trails Pilot Program Final Report from our consultant Environmental Design & Research (EDR). Representatives of EDR and the Department of Parks will make a presentation on the report at the December Parks Advisory Committee (PAC) Meeting on Thursday, December 18th at 4:00 p.m. at the Cornell Cooperative Extension Auditorium, 249 Highland Avenue, Rochester, NY 14620. All are welcome to attend.
Members of the PAC will formally review this report at the December Meeting. Public comment and questions on this report will be solicited at the meeting as well. If you are unable to attend but still wish to make a comment on the report prior to the meeting, you are welcome to do so by sending an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, click here.
Winter Activities in the Monroe County Parks
*These activities are done at your own risk.
We all love our parks. Please help protect our parks and be responsible caretakers when enjoying the great outdoors.
- Check out this "birding checklist" to keep track of the birds you see in the Monroe County Parks (compliments of the Rochester Birding Association).
- Check out this "horticulture checklist" to keep track of the trees, plants, flowers, and shrubs you see in the Poet's Garden of Highland Park, and the park itself (compliments of the Highland Park Conservancy).
Monroe County Emerald Ash Borer Task Force (MCEABTF) Information
The Monroe County Parks Department, in cooperation with the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation coordinates the MCEABTF. This is a volunteer organization of forestry professionals, scientists, natural resource managers, local officials, and private citizens. MCEABTF has organized to facilitate a science-based response to the economic, ecological, and public safety impacts within the forests and communities of Monroe County.