Ontario Beach Park
Swimming at Ontario Beach
- The swimming season at Ontario Beach Park is open from the Friday after Father's Day until Labor Day. Swimming is allowed daily 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. during the summer. For water conditions call 585 753-5887. Equipment and toys are available for rent, and free swimming lessons are offered. Free swimming lessons are offered every Wednesday, from 10 - 10:45 am (5 years old and up). Please call the beach hot line to be sure swimming is open. Life jackets, kickboards, floats, water toys, sand toys, footballs, etc. are all available free to borrow from lifeguard staff.
Whether taking a romantic stroll along its picturesque pier, riding the Historic 1905 Dentzel Carousel, or boating, Ontario Beach Park provides all that’s necessary for a perfect summer day at the beach. Ontario Beach Park attracts tens of thousands of visitors annually. The park is a total of 39 acres and offers five shelters that are available for rent between May 1st and October 31st.
Location and Directions
Ontario Beach Park is located on the shore of Lake Ontario in the northernmost section of the City of Rochester near the Irondequoit border. The park is open daily from 7am-11pm.
The park office is located at 4650 Lake Avenue, Rochester, NY 14612.
Download PARK MAP
Click to get detailed directions.
Common Recreation Activities at Ontario Beach Park
- Beach Volleyball (no equipment provided by Parks Dept.)
- Boating (Boat Launch passes through the City of Rochester)
- Carousel (seasonal)
- Geo-caching (approximately 2 caches)
- Food Service (seasonal)
- Lodge and Shelters for Rent
- Pickleball (seasonal)- nets go up for the season from May 1st until October 31st
- Swimming (seasonal)
-- *soccer/baseball fields managed by the Charlotte Youth Association
Rules and Regulations
Ontario Beach Park is open daily 7:00 a.m. until 11:00 p.m. Glass, pets, and amplified music are not allowed.
Lodges and Shelters
The five open air shelters come with picnic tables, grills, electricity, water and bathrooms nearby.
The Roger Robach Community Center is available for weddings, parties, and picnics! It is located beachfront at Ontario Beach Park (180 Beach Ave, Rochester, NY 14612. Photos are available in our reservation system or can be sent to you via email by our reservations staff.
- Our 6 pickleball nets at Ontario Beach Park open for the season in early May and are open through late October. They are located at the Roger Robach Community Center on Beach Ave.
Concerts By The Shore
- Click here for the 2017 schedule
- Click here to be linked to the Ontario Beach Park Program Committee's website.
Ontario Beach Big Band Dance Series
Operating Schedule for the Historic Dentzel Carousel
The Carousel’s 2016 Operating Schedule is, as follows:
Memorial Day Weekend – Open Friday, May 27 through Monday, May 30
Post-Memorial Day until June 24 – Open Weekends (Friday, Saturday and Sunday)
June 24 through Labor Day – Open Daily (7-Days per Week)
The Carousel’s 2016 Hours of Operation are: Noon to 9:00 p.m.
The Carousel’s 2016 Price Schedule is, as follows:
Single Ride -- $1.00
Punch Card (12 rides for the cost of 10) -- $10.00 **Valid Any Time**
Wrist Band (Ride All Day) -- $5.00
The carousel was carved and created by the firm of G.A. Dentzel in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was installed at Ontario Beach Park in 1905, and has remained in its original location, ever since. The carousel is a menagerie model and consists of 52 riding animals and two chariots, set in three rows. The hand-carved animals include: 22 Jumping Horses; 11 Standing Horses; 3 Cats; 1 Deer; 1 Giraffe; 1 Goat; 1 Lion; 2 Mules; 3 Ostriches; 3 Pigs; 3 Rabbits; and 1 Tiger. In 1984, the County initiated a complete restoration of the animals to their original condition. The carousel has also been modified to accommodate ADA accessibility.
There is one playground in Ontario Beach Park. See the park map for specific locations.
See the park map for specific locations.
Ontario Beach Park has many different water activities. Swimming is allowed daily 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. between the Friday after Father's Day until Labor Day. For water conditions call 585 753-5887. Equipment and toys are available for rent, and free swimming lessons are offered.
Fishing is allowed in Ontario Beach Park as long as those fishing are not in the swimming area, and are following NYS Department of Environmental Conservation guidelines and rules and have the required licenses.
Ontario Beach Park has six beach volleyball courts that are available for rent. Click here for the Special Use Application or call 585 753-PARK (7275) for more information.
- We started accepting Special Use Field Applications for the upcoming year on the lsat Friday in January at 8:30am
The baseball fields are scheduled and managed by the Charlotte Youth Association.