Ontario Beach Park
BROOKS ANNOUNCES COUNTY’S HISTORIC DENTZEL CAROUSEL IS REPAIRED AND RE-OPENED TO PUBLIC
Swimming at Ontario Beach
- Swimming is closed for the season, as of Labor Day weekend.
- The 2014 swimming season will open mid-June. Check back for a specific date.
- During the swimming season, you can call the swimming conditions hotline at anytime for conditions at 585-753-5887 - it is updated daily.
Whether taking a romantic stroll along its picturesque pier, riding the 1905 Dentzel menagerie carousel, or boating, Ontario Beach Park provides all that’s necessary for a perfect summer day at the beach. Ontario Beach Park attracts tens of thousands of visitors annually. The park is a total of 39 acres and offers seven shelters that are available for rent in the summer months.
The seven open air shelters come with picnic tables, grills, electricity, water and bathrooms nearby. The Roger Robach Community Center (Bathhouse) (180 Beach Avenue, Rochester, NY 14612) has been renovated and available to rent for picnics, parties and weddings.
Location and Directions
Ontario Beach Park is located on the shore of Lake Ontario in the northernmost section of the City of Rochester near the Irondequoit border.
The park office is located at 4650 Lake Avenue, Rochester, NY 14612.
Download PARK MAP
Click to get detailed directions.
Pickleball Season will be back in 2014!
- Lessons start each year in early July! Join us again next summer to learn the sport that is sweeping the country! Lessons schedule will be updated next summer.
Rent Roger Robach Center HERE
- Beach Volleyball (no equipment provided by Parks Dept.)
- Boating (Boat Launch passes through the City of Rochester)
- Carousel (seasonal)
- Geo-caching (approximately 2 caches)
- Food Service (seasonal)
- Lodge and Shelters for Rent
- Pickleball (seasonal)
- Swimming (seasonal)
-- *soccer/baseball fields managed by the Charlotte Youth Association
Concerts By The Shore
- Check back for the 2014 schedule.
2013 Ontario Beach Big Band Dance Series
Operating Schedule for the Historic Dentzel Carousel at Monroe County's Ontario Beach Park
The Carousel’s 2013 Operating Schedule is, as follows. Please check back for the 2014 schedule TBD.
- Memorial Day Weekend – Open Friday, May 24 through Monday, May 27
- Post-Memorial Day until June 21 – Open Weekends (Friday, Saturday and Sunday)
- June 21 through Labor Day – Open Daily (7-Days per Week)
- Post-Labor Day through Columbus Day – Open Weekends (Saturday and Sunday)
- Columbus Day – Open Monday, October 14 (Last Day of 2013 Season)
The Carousel’s 2013 Hours of Operation are: Noon to 9:00 p.m.
The Carousel’s 2013 Price Schedule is, as follows:
- Single Ride -- $1.00
- Punch Card (12 rides for the cost of 10) -- $10.00 **Valid Any Time**
- Wrist Band (Ride All Day) -- $5.00
The carousel was carved and created by the firm of G.A. Dentzel in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was installed at Ontario Beach Park in 1905, and has remained in its original location, ever since. The carousel is a menagerie model and consists of 52 riding animals and two chariots, set in three rows. The hand-carved animals include: 22 Jumping Horses; 11 Standing Horses; 3 Cats; 1 Deer; 1 Giraffe; 1 Goat; 1 Lion; 2 Mules; 3 Ostriches; 3 Pigs; 3 Rabbits; and 1 Tiger. In 1984, the County initiated a complete restoration of the animals to their original condition. The carousel has also been modified to accommodate ADA accessibility.
Rules and Regulations
Ontario Beach Park is open daily 7:00 a.m. until 11:00 p.m. Glass, pets, and amplified music are not allowed.
There is one playground in Ontario Beach Park. See the park map for specific locations.
See the park map for specific locations.
Ontario Beach Park has many different water activities, swimming is allowed daily 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. during the summer, for water conditions call 585 753-5887.
Fishing is allowed in Lake Ontario as long as those fishing are age 16 or over and have a fishing license. For fish regulations (size and season) please contact the County Clerks Office.
Ontario Beach Park has six beach volleyball courts available for rent/reservation through the Parks Department.
The soccer and baseball fields are scheduled and managed by the Charlotte Youth Association.