We all love our parks.
Please help protect our parks and be responsible caretakers when enjoying the great outdoors.
- Practice Carry-in, Carry-out.
- Go Green at your next park event or rental.
- Be an H2O Hero
- Participate in the 8th annual Pick Up the Parks Event or visit our PUTP Facebook Page.
- Saturday, TBD 2017, 9am-noon for the cleanup, and noon-2pm for the Thank You Picnic (at Olmsted Lodge in Highland Park only).
- Check out this "birding checklist" to keep track of the birds you see in the Monroe County Parks (compliments of the Rochester Birding Association).
- Check out this "horticulture checklist" to keep track of the trees, plants, flowers, and shrubs you see in the Poet's Garden of Highland Park, and the park itself (compliments of the Highland Park Conservancy).
Monroe County Emerald Ash Borer Task Force (MCEABTF) Information
The Monroe County Parks Department, in cooperation with the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation coordinates the MCEABTF. This is a volunteer organization of forestry professionals, scientists, natural resource managers, local officials, and private citizens. MCEABTF has organized to facilitate a science-based response to the economic, ecological, and public safety impacts within the forests and communities of Monroe County.
- A Homeowner’s Guide to the Emerald Ash Borer
- EAB Awareness Tree-Tags from New York State (NYS) Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC)
- Please "like" the MCEABTF Facebook page
- The next meeting of the MCEABTF is Wednesday, November 9th, 2016, from 3 until 4:30pm at the Olmsted Lodge in Highland Park.
- Public workshop, Friday, November 4th at Woodside Lodge in Black Creek Park, Chili:
- Western Finger Lakes ReLeaf committee is having a public workshop focused on tree planting.
- The advice and techniques provided at the workshop will be applicable to municipal tree planting crews, tree boards, landscape contractors, and homeowners.
- Planting of three different tree types will be demonstrated: ball & burlap, bareroot, and container trees.
- Jim Kisker from Schichtel’s nursery is lead presenter.
- Walt Nelson from Cornell Cooperative Extension will also be presenting; his topic will be on soils.
- The workshop will be held Friday, November 4th at Woodside Lodge in Black Creek Park, Chili.
- Registration starts at 8am. Workshop begins at 8:30am and goes until 12:00 pm.
- Coffee and snacks will be provided in the morning.
- Registration for the workshop can be found here